Israeli Leaks: Netanyahu Plans Full Gaza Takeover

Gaza Herald– Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is now actively pushing for the complete military occupation of the Gaza Strip, according to several leaks in Israeli media on Monday. The reports, citing unnamed officials from within Netanyahu’s circle, suggest a new phase in Israel’s deadly war on Gaza, which has already claimed tens of thousands of Palestinian lives.

Israel’s Channel 12 news quoted “senior figures” from the Prime Minister’s Office as saying, “The decision has been made, Israel is heading towards the occupation of the Gaza Strip.” This declaration indicates a dangerous escalation of Israel’s long-standing colonial ambitions over Palestinian land.

Sources claimed that Netanyahu, who remains under international scrutiny for war crimes and is wanted by the International Criminal Court, made clear in private meetings with ministers that his government intends to expand its stalled military offensive across Gaza. The report emphasized that Netanyahu explicitly used the phrase “occupation of the Strip” when speaking with members of his cabinet. This term signals a shift from airstrikes and partial incursions to a full-fledged land invasion and prolonged control of Gaza.

The Ynet news website echoed the same message, also quoting anonymous sources close to the Prime Minister who said Israel was preparing for the full occupation of Gaza. This would include launching ground operations into areas believed to house captives, as well as regions that have not seen Israeli troop presence for over a year, notably western Gaza City and central refugee camps, both of which have already suffered extensive destruction.

These types of strategic leaks are commonplace in Israeli media and are widely seen as authorized communications from Netanyahu himself, using anonymous sources as a public messaging tool to prepare domestic and international audiences for policy shifts.

Israeli planes to annex Gaza

Last week, similar reports circulated in Israeli outlets, stating that Netanyahu was ready to annex portions of the Gaza Strip if no ceasefire agreement is reached with the Palestinian resistance group Hamas. Such statements, if carried out, would amount to a blatant act of colonial annexation, in direct violation of international law and Palestinian sovereignty.

While the authenticity of these sources cannot be independently verified, their consistent appearance across multiple Israeli outlets adds weight to their implications.

Meanwhile, internal fractures appear to be deepening between Netanyahu and top military officials. According to Israeli media reports, Israeli army chief of staff Eyal Zamir is said to oppose any broadening of the ground invasion, citing growing concerns about the safety of Israeli captives and the extreme physical and mental exhaustion plaguing Israeli soldiers after months of brutal operations in Gaza.

In a reflection of the high-stakes tensions, sources allegedly told Israeli reporters that if Zamir refuses to back the Prime Minister’s expansionist plan, he should resign from his position, further highlighting Netanyahu’s increasingly unilateral approach to the war.

Ynet also claimed that Netanyahu’s aggressive stance was bolstered by a so-called “green light” from former U.S. President Donald Trump, whose past support for Israel’s most controversial policies has emboldened the far-right Israeli government.

Israel’s public broadcaster, Kan 11, added that a high-level security meeting was scheduled for Tuesday, where Netanyahu would discuss the next steps for expanding military operations. However, the country’s security establishment remains reluctant to authorize a ground invasion in areas where hostages are likely being held, warning that such a move could endanger their lives.

Adding to the contradictions, Channel 12 also quoted a security source involved in negotiations as saying that Israel had been close to a partial deal with Hamas but that the government “backed away hastily” from the talks. This revelation comes amid reports that last month’s indirect ceasefire and prisoner exchange negotiations had been making progress, only to be suddenly abandoned by both Israel and its primary backer, the United States.

Genocide claims more lives

Since October 7, 2023, the Israeli military has waged a relentless and indiscriminate war on the Gaza Strip, resulting in the deaths of more than 60,000 Palestinians, including at least 18,000 children, according to the latest figures. The campaign, characterized by mass bombings of residential areas, hospitals, and schools, has pushed Gaza into a humanitarian catastrophe and has been widely condemned as a genocide.

Israel stands accused of using starvation, displacement, and constant bombardment as tools of war, deliberately targeting civilians and critical infrastructure in violation of international humanitarian law.

If Netanyahu proceeds with a full occupation, it will likely mark the beginning of a new chapter in the systematic destruction and colonization of Gaza, further stripping Palestinians of their right to life, land, and self-determination.