GazaHerald – The Israeli cabinet’s approval of a plan for its army to seize full control of Gaza City has drawn sharp condemnation from governments, international bodies, and human rights officials, amid warnings that the move could deepen a war now approaching its second year.
In a rare joint statement, the foreign ministers of Australia, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, and Britain denounced Israel’s decision to launch a new large-scale military operation in the Gaza Strip. “The plans announced by the Israeli government threaten to violate international humanitarian law,” they said, reaffirming their commitment to a negotiated two-state solution. The ministers also urged Israel to urgently amend its recently introduced registration system for international humanitarian organizations, which aid agencies say is obstructing relief efforts.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk called for the plan’s immediate cancellation, warning that it directly contradicts a binding International Court of Justice ruling ordering Israel to end its occupation “as soon as possible” and to respect the Palestinians’ right to self-determination.
Similar concerns were voiced in Sweden, where Foreign Minister Maria Malmström Steinergard told broadcaster SVT Nyheter that Israel’s escalation “violates international law” and that any attempt to annex, alter, or reduce Gaza’s territory would be illegal.
Spain’s Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares also condemned the decision, calling it “an expansion of military occupation” that will bring “more destruction and suffering.” Scotland’s First Minister John Swinney posted on X that Israel’s move is “totally unacceptable” and will “exacerbate the humanitarian suffering of the Palestinian people and escalate the conflict.”
In Belgium, the foreign ministry summoned Israel’s ambassador to protest the plan. Foreign Minister Maxime Prévot called the decision “unacceptable and contrary to international law.”
At the EU level, European Council President Antonio Costa warned that the decision could damage relations between Israel and the European Union, noting it violates an agreement announced by the EU’s foreign policy chief in mid-July. “The situation in Gaza remains tragic,” Costa said, “and the Israeli government’s decision will only make it worse.”
Canada also joined the chorus of opposition. Prime Minister Mark Carney told reporters that the move is “a step in the wrong direction” that risks worsening the humanitarian crisis and endangering the lives of captives.
The Israeli government’s decision, announced early Friday, calls for forces to enter areas of Gaza they have not previously occupied, particularly in the central Strip and Gaza City, with the stated goal of taking control. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said the army would simultaneously “distribute humanitarian aid to civilians outside combat zones,” a claim met with skepticism abroad.
Israeli Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir reportedly warned against the plan, but his concerns were overruled. Critics say the escalation risks prolonging the war, intensifying civilian suffering, and closing the door on prospects for peace.


