Gaza Herald- The spokesperson for Gaza’s Civil Defense, Major Mahmoud Basal, said that Israel’s approval of a plan to occupy Gaza City changes nothing after most of its neighborhoods have already been destroyed, stressing that any new military operation will only bring more martyrs, pain, and suffering.
Basal urged the international community to act urgently to protect civilians and innocents in the besieged enclave.
Earlier this morning, the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced that the Security Cabinet had approved a proposal to take control of Gaza City as part of a broader plan to occupy the entire Strip.
Major Basal confirmed that the health system is in severe crisis due to a lack of fuel, adding that Civil Defense is also struggling, with about 60% of its vehicles out of service a situation with grave consequences on all levels.
He explained that Civil Defense crews are unable to reach areas under continuous Israeli bombardment, which causes civilian injuries and deaths, due to fuel shortages, lack of equipment, and limited specialized teams.
Basal also highlighted the dangers of airdropped aid, pointing to a critical injury at Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital caused by one such drop. The patient suffered severe internal brain bleeding and a clear skull fracture and may lose her life at any moment.
According to Basal, this method is ineffective, inhumane, and dangerous for civilians, leading to injuries and deaths. He said that urgent appeals have been sent to international organizations and relevant capitals to address this threat.
He noted that some aid boxes fall on structurally unsafe houses, directly injuring residents, or cause buildings to collapse when civilians climb onto them to retrieve the aid, creating additional burdens for Civil Defense teams and requiring extra resources, effort, and time.
Regarding destruction in eastern Gaza, Basal said that Israeli forces have destroyed the neighborhoods of Al-Zaytoun, Al-Shuja’iya, and Al-Tuffah, with destruction levels in some areas exceeding 90% of the remaining homes after previous bombardments.
Exclusive footage has shown unprecedented levels of devastation in these neighborhoods, documenting destroyed homes, streets, and infrastructure.
Basal expressed regret that Civil Defense crews have been unable to enter these areas, as they are designated “red zones” requiring coordination, something Israel flatly refuses, while also threatening to target specialized teams, in violation of the Geneva Conventions and international humanitarian law.
He pointed out that there are numerous urgent pleas from residents in these areas to rescue the wounded and retrieve those trapped under rubble, but the occupation denies such access under false and unacceptable pretexts.
Since October 7, 2023, Israel has been committing genocide in Gaza involving killing, starvation, destruction, and forced displacement, ignoring all international calls and International Court of Justice orders to halt these actions.
This genocide has so far claimed the lives of 61,258 Palestinians and injured 152,045, with over 9,000 missing, in addition to hundreds of thousands displaced and famine killing many, including dozens of children.


