Gaza Herald- Israeli naval forces launched an operation Monday against the “Global Sumud Flotilla,” a convoy bound for Gaza after departing from Turkey last week, in a renewed bid to challenge the blockade on the besieged territory.
A member of the “Sumud Flotilla” told Al Jazeera Mubasher that communication was lost with nearly 23 vessels after Israeli forces intercepted the convoy, with around 180 activists reportedly taken into custody during the operation.
Israeli media reported that Shayetet 13 naval commandos moved to take control of the flotilla vessels after four Israeli warships intercepted the convoy and ordered crews to stop their engines.
Israeli media said naval forces moved several flotilla activists to a military ship used as a floating detention facility, with plans to transfer them later to Ashdod port. A flotilla source, however, stated that the interception of one vessel would not stop the remaining ships from continuing toward Gaza
The Jerusalem Post reported that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a preliminary security meeting on Sunday to discuss the handling of the flotilla, with a further operational session expected alongside military leaders, as officials estimate the vessels could arrive in the area within 48 hours.
Al Jazeera’s Palestine bureau chief said Israel’s plan involves stopping the flotilla in international waters before it enters territorial waters, using floating platforms and vessels to detain activists at sea in order to avoid transferring them to ports, as seen in previous incidents.
He noted that the Israeli military has reinforced its naval presence with elite units and infantry to conduct the operation, citing concerns about what it described as “violent” activists, while seeking to avoid a repeat of the deadly 2010 Mavi Marmara incident.
An Al Jazeera correspondent aboard one of the flotilla vessels reported threats of interception in international waters, saying Israel plans to transfer participants to floating detention ships and block them from reaching any ports, while organizers insist the mission is unarmed and non-violent.
The Global Sumud Flotilla departed from Marmaris in Turkey with 54 ships carrying hundreds of activists from about 70 countries, including doctors, lawyers, and journalists, in an international initiative aimed at challenging the blockade on Gaza that has been in place since 2007.
Flotilla spokesperson Nour Saad described the incident as a clear breach of international law and maritime regulations, saying it amounted to a direct attack on a humanitarian mission, and held Israel fully responsible for the safety of all participants while urging urgent international accountability measures.
The latest development unfolds amid ongoing efforts to challenge the naval blockade on Gaza, as human rights organizations warn that stopping civilian ships in international waters could heighten legal and humanitarian tensions in the region.


